Applications for the Global Summer School 2018 are now closed.
Register your interest for our 2019 programme.
Please read the following guidance notes before making your application. Key application dates and deadlines can be found on the Applying page.
- To complete the application form, you will need to provide some personal details, information about your school and grades, and a personal statement to detail why you want to attend the Summer School.
- When adding your qualifications, please give details of all subjects studied in the last two years, and any qualifications you are currently working towards with predicted grades.
- You can save your progress at any time and return at a later date to complete your application. You will receive an automated reminder email every 3 days until you complete or withdraw your application.
- Once submitted, you can check the status of your application at any time by logging in to the online application portal. This will show you whether your parent/guardian and teacher have submitted their required forms.
- Applications will be assessed using the criteria listed on our Who we're looking for webpage and key dates and deadlines are available on the Applying webpage.
- Due to the number of applications we receive we cannot amend applications after they are submitted, unless we contact you directly for more information. Please ensure all information is completed before you submit your application.
Please follow these steps when completing your application. Steps 1 – 4 must be completed by the application round deadline. We recommend submitting your application at least 7 days before the deadline to allow time for your parents and teachers to submit their forms.
Step 1 – Follow the link on this page to access the application system and create an account. You will be sent an email to verify your account.
Step 2 – Once your account is verified you will be taken to a Homepage where you can select ‘New application’.
Step 3 – Fill out the application form with your details. See our guidance below for help with completing the form. Please pay particular attention to the guidance concerning qualifications to ensure you provide all required information. Once your application is complete select ‘Submit’ to submit your application.
Step 4 – Once your application is submitted emails will be sent to your parent/guardian and teacher who will be required to complete and submit an online reference form.
Step 5 – Applications are assessed by the Global Summer School team, students will be notified by email that a decision has been made, and invited to visit the online portal to check the outcome. Successful applicants will be sent a conditional offer, and a link to an online portal where they will need to upload the following documents within 5 days:
- A copy of the details page of your passport and your valid UK Visa if ready.
- An up-to-date copy of your most recent school or college grades. Where this is not available, further information from your school will be required.
- Proof of competency in English (e.g. IELTS), if your first language is not English or English is not the language in which you are taught at school.
Please ensure all supporting documents are ready when you submit your application, and will be available to be uploaded following the release of decisions. No extensions will be given and if you are not able to meet the deadline your application will be rejected.
Step 6 – Once these documents have been checked by the Global Summer School team, an unconditional offer will be sent to students. Students will be required to complete and return 5 electronic consent forms and make payment via credit or debit card within 14 days in order for their place to be confirmed.
Help with your application
The following information is provided to assist you with completing the online application form.
- Select the programme ‘Global Summer School’ in the Additional Information section.
- When selecting your preference of Global Summer School session, please ensure you tick the box if you are flexible and able to attend either session. We do our best to give students their first choice but as places become limited this will not be possible and students may be offered their second choice.
- When adding your qualifications and personal statement please refer to the guidance below.
- In order to verify the information on your application form we ask you to provide contact details for your parent/guardian and your teacher. They will receive an automatic email once you have submitted your application form. They will be required to complete and submit a form to verify that the information the student has provided is correct, and teachers will be required to write a reference. Parents should only submit information correcting or clarifying the student’s application, any additional information will not be assessed as part of the application.
- You will not be able to make changes to your application once you have chosen to submit it.
We require the following qualification details:
- Details of all subjects/qualifications studied in the last two years (Key Stage 4 in UK). Please include all formal qualifications (e.g. GCSEs) and class grades, indicating that these are class grades. When adding your qualification type please also ensure you include details about the exam board/type of qualification (e.g. International Baccalaureate class grade).
- Details of all subjects/qualifications you are currently studying. If predicted grades are available please provide these, if predicted grades are not available please type NPG (no predicted grade).
Please note – Please enter subjects/qualifications one at a time. If your qualification type or subject is not listed, please select ‘Other’ and enter this manually.
English language qualification
When asked to give details of your English language qualification please read the three options below and follow the steps for the option that applies to you:
- If English is your native language you do not need to enter an English language qualification. Please select ‘No’ and state ‘English is my native language’ in your personal statement. Your teacher will need to confirm this in their reference for you.
- If your lessons are taught in English at school you do not need to enter an English language qualification. Please select ‘No’ and state ‘My lessons are taught in English’ in your personal statement. Your teacher will need to confirm this in their reference for you.
- If neither of the above apply you do need to enter an English language qualification. Please select ‘Yes’ and give the details of this qualification. Your teacher will need to confirm this in their reference for you.
The personal statement should demonstrate your motivation for applying to the Summer School, and you may like to consider including information about skills you have, skills you would like to develop, your future ambitions and your interest in the programme.
The word limit for the personal statement is 200 words. Any additional words included will not be assessed as part of the application. Please state whether English is your native language and whether all/the majority of your lessons are taught in English. If neither apply, you will need to give details of your English language qualification in the section provided.
If you have any difficulties during the application process please contact us.
In order to access the teacher reference form, teachers will need to provide the student's date of birth. Teachers are required to verify the application information provided by the student, and add any amends. Teachers should also include information about the current and predicted grades of the student, and their English language ability. Please indicate whether English is the student's native language, whether all/the majority of lessons at school are taught in English, or details of any English language qualification held by the student.
Teachers may also like to include information about how they feel the student would benefit from the Summer School, how the student stands out at school, and details of any other relevant achievements, extra-curricular activities or interests.
The parent/guardian reference is for clarification purposes only, please only include information that clarifies the student's application. We are expecting no more than 30 words for a parent/guardian reference. We will not read any statements written by a parent/guardian supporting the application.