Alumni Mentoring Scheme
How to apply
Applications for the 2019/20 scheme will open on Monday 28 January 2019.
The Careers Service is pleased to offer undergraduates and PhD students the opportunity to be mentored by a professional alumnus working in your chosen field of interest, or a related profession. The aim of the scheme is to encourage personal and professional growth, and all eligible students are welcome to apply. Mentoring partnerships will officially run for just under a year from April to March (the following year) so taking part is not a one-off commitment.
The Mentors are Imperial alumni who have volunteered their time to provide support to students and have committed to a minimum of six meetings with their Mentees, with at least two being done in person (or via Skype for mentors based outside the UK).
Benefits of joining the Scheme
The primary aim of the scheme is to provide an insight into the world of work and help you make the transition from student to working graduate, developing your professional skills and commercial awareness. Benefits participants on last year's scheme fed back to us included:
- Professional insight into your chosen industry or career
- Increased knowledge of what working in a certain sector involves and the typical networking and recruitment processes
- Greater self-awareness of your transferrable skills and those you need to develop
- Ideas and strategies for developing these skills
- Options and opportunities for gaining experience in your chosen sector
- Awareness of new opportunities and directions
- Improved self-confidence and increased self-assurance in your own abilities
Please note that participation on the scheme is not work experience, or intended to lead to an offer of employment with the Mentor’s employer.
The scheme is open for any undergraduate student who will be continuing their studies into the 2019-20 academic year (i.e. first, second and penultimate years) and also PhD students who will remain a student for the duration of the scheme. The Alumni Mentoring Scheme is not open to Business School students.
Information for applicants
Applications to be a student mentee will next open in the Spring Term. Once we have reviewed your application, you will be notified of the outcome in March. Successful applicants will be sent further details about the scheme and invited to the Alumni Mentoring Scheme Introduction event in late March/early April to meet their Mentor and receive a brief training session covering:
- Overview of roles and responsibilities
- Standard expectations and commitments
- Goal setting
- Planning and structuring contact with your Mentor
- Support from the Careers Service
Should the scheme become over-subscribed, priority will be given to students from disadvantaged backgrounds and underrepresented groups. In line with the College's Outreach criteria, we will prioritise applications from:
- Students who have been in care
- Students who have been a carer
- Students with a disability
- Students receiving the maximum Imperial Bursary
- Students who are the first in their family to attend university
- Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic students
- Female students
Although students who have taken part in previous years of the scheme are eligible to apply, priority will be given to first-time applications.
Please note that the information provided will remain strictly confidential at all times and not be passed on to mentors or any other third parties.
Timetable of deadlines and events
|Summer 2018 - February 2019||Careers Service sourcing and confirming Alumni Mentors|
|2 February 2019||Open student Mentee applications|
|4 March 2019||Student Mentee applications will close towards the end of the month|
|March/April 2019||Reviewing Mentee applications and matching to create optimal mentoring partnerships|
|April 2019||All student applicants to know outcome of matching process|
|May 2019||Alumni Mentoring Scheme launch event; with Mentee induction|
|February/March 2020||End of the duration of the Scheme; Celebration and Awards Event and at end of term.|
Please note this is an indicative timetable and dates may change.
If you have any questions you can email us, or contact the Careers Service reception desk on +44 (0)20 7594 8024 and ask to speak to a member of the Alumni Mentoring Team.