Department of Mechanical Engineering
Total expected intake
160 (2019 entry)
Applications : Admissions ratio
10 : 1 (for 2017 entry)
2nd in the UK
About the Department
The mechanical engineering education we offer is designed to turn the brightest, most ambitious students into twenty-first century engineers. Our courses will develop your knowledge, skills, imagination and creativity.
We also work continuously with industry to ensure that our courses – and the facilities, and equipment you will learn to use – remain relevant to the profession.
You will gain a true appreciation of manufacturing through project work which requires use of manual and automated manufacture tools in our student workshop.
There are also opportunities to engage directly with research taking place in the Department in areas such as sustainable energy, medical engineering, robotics, structural integrity, advanced manufacturing and future transport technologies.
Four-year courses (240 ECTS):
- MEng Mechanical Engineering (UCAS code H301)
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year Abroad*
- MEng Mechanical with Nuclear Engineering*
Five-year courses (300 ECTS):
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Industry*
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Industry and a Year Abroad*
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with Nuclear Engineering and a Year in Industry*
* Apply initially for MEng Mechanical Engineering (H301)
If you are an international student, transferring to a different course could have an impact on your Tier 4 visa. Please visit our International Student Support webpage for further information.